- Buckle up!
- Do not exceed the speed limit, especially in dangerous weather conditions.
- If you are driving, watch the road, not the storm! Front seat passenger should also watch for hazards.
- Watch for debris, such as downed power lines, fallen trees, etc.
- Be careful at railroad crossings.
- Check fuel level often.
- If you are passing through a town that just experienced a tornado, stay clear of the emergency vehicles. Don't hamper their efforts.
These are just the basics. Following these rules can prevent injury or death during a storm chase.
- Pay attention to lightning!
- Stay in vehicle if possible, and don't be the tallest thing around.
- Have an escape route in case the storm turns on you.
- Do not core punch. This means driving through the heaviest rain and hail. You may drive straight into the tornado.
- Watch out for debris thrown from tornadoes.
- Don't get caught underneath a wall cloud.
- What ever you do, do not drive into running water!! Many people die needlessly because they thought they could get across.